Diane and Jeff Gerst, Erhard, Minn., Published August 20 2012
Ryan’s budget fails moral testVice presidential candidate Paul Ryan professes to be a Catholic, yet the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops say that his budget proposal fails a “basic moral test.” NETWORK, a National Catholic Lobby, states that Ryan’s proposal would:
• Raise taxes on 18 million hardworking low-income families while cutting taxes for millionaires and big corporations.
• Push the families of 2 million children into poverty.
• Kick 8 million people off food stamps and 3 million off health care.
A faithful budget would:
• Provide reasonable revenue for responsible programs.
• Put Americans back to work rebuilding our roads, bridges and schools.
• Ensure that millionaires don’t pay lower tax rates than working families and that everyone pays their fair share.