Jessica Ballou, Published August 19 2012
Two Streets Alive events slated this weekWEST FARGO – One mile of streets in West Fargo will be closed to cars and opened to human-powered movement for a mini-Streets Alive event from 6 to 8 p.m. Tuesday.
Attendees will experience fitness and dance activities, music, entertainment and more along the route.
The event is part of West Fargo Public Schools elementary schools’ back-to-school nights.
This event, which is free and open to the public, aims to improve the health and well-being of residents by increasing levels of physical activity, raising acceptance of bicycling and walking as ways of getting around and facilitating greater awareness in the connections among environment, transportation and health.
Visit fmstreetsalive.org for more information.
Other events in the area include:
• Symphony Rocks, Moorhead, Tuesday: The Fargo-Moorhead Symphony Orchestra will be performing with Post-Traumatic Funk Syndrome for a fundraising event 8 p.m. Tuesday at the Bluestem Center for the Arts. Prior to the concert there will be a pre-party to raise funds for the Symphony Orchestra. Concert tickets range from $18-$43. Call (701) 478-3676 for more information or tickets.
• Corn Feed, Moorhead, Wednesday: The Moorhead Corn Feed will be at 5:30 p.m. Wednesday at Concordia College near Prexy’s Pond. Corn and the fixings are free, and other food will be available for purchase from Dining Services. There will be inflatable games from Games Galore, a clown from the Fargo Entertainment Co., a barrel train and face painting. Visit concordianow.com for more information.
• Four Souls, Moorhead, Thursday and Friday: “Four Souls: Stories from America’s Borders, A Public Humanities Symposium” honoring Louise Erdrich will begin at 7:30 p.m. Thursday at Bluestem Center for the Arts. Louise Erdrich, the New York Times best-selling author who grew up in North Dakota, will share her journey Thursday night. Writing and other workshops will take place throughout Friday, also at Bluestem, with other authors. This event is free and open to the public. Call (701) 255-3360 for more information or to make reservations for the workshops.
• Walk to Defeat ALS, Fargo, Saturday: The 10th annual Fargo-Moorhead Walk to Defeat ALS will be at 10 a.m. Saturday at the Lindenwood Park Main Shelter. Registration begins at 9 a.m. for this three-mile walk. Money raised from the event will help provide programs and services to people living with ALS and their families. Snacks, refreshments and entertainment will be provided. Email Chelsea@alsmn.org for more information.
• Sheyenne Shuffle, Valley City, N.D., Saturday: The Sheyenne Shuffle 10K, 5K and kiddie race are helping to celebrate the 10th anniversary of the Sheyenne River Valley National Scenic Byway at 9 a.m. Saturday. Race packets can be picked up from 6 to 8 p.m. Friday in the Rosebud Visitor Center. The 10K will begin at 9 a.m. and the 5K will begin at 9:45 a.m. Call (701) 845-1891 for more information.
• Streets Alive, Fargo, Sunday: Thousands of participants are expected to attend Streets Alive from noon to 5 p.m. Sunday around Fargo, West Fargo and Moorhead. Three miles of streets will be shut down to traffic to encourage people to walk, bike, run, skate, dance and other activities. Visit fmstreetsalive.org for more information.
Readers can reach Forum reporter Jessica Ballou at (701) 235-7311