« Continue Browsing

e-mail article Print     e-mail article E-mail

Associated Press, Published August 13 2012

Overheated compressor led to Minn. paper mill fire

SARTELL, Minn. — The Minnesota state fire marshal's office says an overheated air compressor caused a deadly Memorial Day explosion and fire at a Sartell paper mill.

According to a report released Monday, the overheated compressor ignited oil vapors in an air receiving tank at the Verso Paper Corp. mill.

The 27-page report says the cooling water supply to the compressor was severely reduced in the hour before the explosion, and that two other compressors had already shut off because of overheating.

Damage from the explosion is estimated at $50 million. The St. Cloud Times (http://on.sctimes.com/P8GUDe ) reports the case is closed.

The blast killed one employee and injured a couple of others. Verso announced earlier this month that the mill will not reopen.

___

Information from: St. Cloud Times, http://www.sctimes.com


Copyright © 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. The information contained in the AP News report may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed without the prior written authority of The Associated Press.