Source: Choose Help, Published August 04 2012
Tips for dealing with an alcoholic spouse
- Talk about the alcohol use normally and openly. Don’t get emotional, but don’t try to hide the facts.
- Save important discussions for when your loved one is sober.
- Don’t try to change your loved one’s behaviors through nagging, threats, punishments or other forms of coercion.
- Don’t take on the burden. You didn’t cause your loved one to become an alcoholic, so you shouldn’t feel responsible for it.
- Get support and advice from a therapist, a self-help group or Al-Anon.