Brandi Jewett, Forum Communications, Published July 30 2012
Fargo man, brother win annual Red River catfish tournamentEAST GRAND FORKS, Minn. - Billy and Marty Cariveau’s Sunday victory was a narrow one — a 0.44 lb difference between them and their next closest competitor.
The brothers claimed the top award of $3,712 at this year’s Cats Incredible fishing tournament held over the weekend in East Grand Forks.
The Cariveaus reeled in nine catfish weighing a total of 76.48 pounds. They beat second place team Brian Rud and James Benson’s haul of 10 fish weighing 76.04 pounds.
“It doesn’t seem real,” said Marty Cariveau, who lives in East Grand Forks. “We’ve seen our friends win over the years, but for us to do it is great.”
The pair has been competing in the tournament for 10 years and has placed before — the highest being fifth place. They said they didn’t come in expecting to win it all.
“We just have a big group of guys that comes and does this every year,” said Billy Cariveau, who came up from Fargo to fish with his brother and friends. “We’re here to have fun.”
The Cariveaus said they will return next year, and they plan on using some of the prize money to pay for next year’s tournament fee.
As for fishing tips, the tournament’s top anglers are staying mum.
“We’re keeping those to ourselves,” Marty Cariveau said.
A total of 116 boats participated in the Cats Incredible tournament this year. The top 15 teams are guaranteed a place in next year’s tournament.
The teams placing in the top 10 of the tournament were:
• First place: Marty Cariveau, East Grand Forks and Billy Cariveau, Fargo.
• Second place: Brian Rud, Grand Forks and James Benson, East Grand Forks.
• Third place: Phillip Jeffery, East Grand Forks and Jason Kalt, Warren, Minn.
• Fourth place: John Sonstegard, Baudette, Minn., and James Nordlof, Baudette, Minn.
• Fifth place: Gary Grosz, Grand Forks and Randy Storey, Grand Forks.
• Sixth place: Ryan Berg, East Grand Forks and Billy Murray, East Grand Forks.
• Seventh place: Martain Magnusson, Grand Forks and Dustin Ostgard, Grand Forks.
• Eighth place: Brad Nelson, East Grand Forks and Kevin Thompson, East Grand Forks.
• Ninth place: Dustin Lunski, Grand Forks and Branden Lunski, Grand Forks.
• Tenth place: Greg Schlief, East Grand Forks and Francis Allard, Grand Forks.