Jessica Ballou, Published July 22 2012
Becker County Fair celebrates 119th anniversaryDETROIT LAKES, Minn. – This week marks the 119th year of the Becker County Fair here.
The fair is Wednesday through Saturday at the Becker County Fairgrounds, at the junction of Rossman Avenue and West Lake Drive.
Each day of the fair has a different theme: Wednesday is Entry Day, with many 4-H activities; Thursday is Senior Citizens Day, with an awards program at 1:15 p.m.; Friday is Kids Day, with live entertainment and kids games in the afternoon; and Saturday is Family Day, with several events set throughout the day.
Other events during the week include a llama show at 7:15 p.m. Wednesday, the Miss Becker County Pageant at 6:30 p.m. Thursday, a demolition derby at 7 p.m. Friday and the King Agassiz Awards at 6 p.m. Saturday.
Visit tinyurl.com/beckerfair for more information.
Other events this week include:
• Dilworth Loco Daze, Monday through Sunday: The 26th annual Dilworth Loco Daze includes a variety of events all week. StreetsAlive is from 6 to 8 p.m. Tuesday starting at the Community Center. The Miss DGF Scholarship Pageant is at 7 p.m. Wednesday in DGF School in Glyndon. The main event is a Loco Daze parade at 10:30 a.m. Saturday on Highway 10. More than 40 other events are scheduled throughout the week. Call (218) 287-2313 for more information.
• 2012 Cass County Summerfest, Casselton, Friday through Sunday: The 2012 Cass County Summerfest begins at 7:30 a.m. Friday with Crazy Days sales in downtown Casselton. There will be an attempt to break the world record for the most people doing the Twist at one time 11 a.m. Saturday in downtown Casselton. Other notable events include a variety show at 7 p.m. Friday in the Cass County High School North gym, a firefighters water fight from 2 to 4 p.m. Saturday in the Vets Club Corner and more. Call (701) 361-0773 for more information.
• Fargo Blues Festival, Newman Outdoor Field, Friday and Saturday: Six national headliners will perform at the 17th annual Fargo Blues Festival Friday and Saturday at Newman Outdoor Field, including Shemekia Copeland and James Cotton. Single-day tickets are $25 and two-day tickets are $35. Call (218) 287-7775 for more information.
• Frazee, Minn., Turkey Days, Friday through Sunday: With more than 50 events planned over three days, Frazee Turkey Days has plenty to offer the whole family. This year’s theme is “The Gizzard of Oz: There’s No Place Like Home.” Events include a sandcastle contest at 2 p.m. Friday in Town Lake Beach, a Beast Mode Challenge at 9 a.m. Saturday on the Frazee High School football field and a Turkey Days parade at 2 p.m. on Main Avenue. Call (800) 407-2488 for more information.
• Arts & Crafts in the Park, Detroit Lakes, Minn., Sunday: The annual arts and crafts event is from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. in City Park. There will be more than 100 booths. Call (218) 847-9202 for more information.
• German Folk Fest, Rheault Farm, Fargo, Sunday: Dance and socialize with traditional German music and German-American foods from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. Sunday at Rheault Farm. Main stage entertainment will be provided by the Jolly Huntsmen Band and the Bockfest Boys throughout the day. There will also be demonstrations with the accordion, northern European woodcarving, German Christmas ornament making and more. Rheault Farm is at 2902 25th St. S. Call (701) 499-7788 for more information.
Readers can reach Forum reporter Jessica Ballou at (701) 235-7311