Hollis Palmer, GriefShare facilitator in southeastern Virginia, Published July 20 2012
THINGS TO EXPECT DURING GRIEFTHINGS TO EXPECT DURING GRIEF
- Immediately after the funeral, your pain from grief could be worse than the day of your loss.
- Your “season of grief” will last longer than you expect.
- After your loss, many things will trigger your mind to recall memories .
- You will experience emotions such as guilt, regret, loss, pain and disappointment at intense levels.
- You may feel trapped in your grief, and can’t explain what’s happening to you or clearly tell others how to help you.
- You may experience several days when you don’t want to get out of bed.
- You may have difficulty sleeping; when you do sleep, you may experience nightmares.
- Long periods of grief can lead to feelings of hopelessness and despair.
- You may experience shattered beliefs about life, the world, your faith and even God.
- Find a support group that can help you work through these issues because you should not walk the journey alone.