Jessica Ballou, Published July 15 2012
Summer events: Make a splash at Detroit Lakes Water Carnival
With a variety of events planned for the weeklong celebration, there’s plenty of fun to be found for the entire family.
Events early in the week include a farmers market, a dance and the Great Admiral’s Hat Hunt. Other events include bingo, home brew contest and beer tasting, water fights and more.
There will be events galore on Saturday, with a fun run/walk, pet show, live music, classic car show, sand castle contest and more.
Call (218) 234-6145 for more information.
Other events in the area this week include:
• Gooseberry Park Players, Moorhead, Tuesday through Sunday: Presenting “How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying,” which tells the story of a man living in the business world of the 1960s. Email email@example.com for more information.
• Garden Tour, Fargo, Wednesday and Thursday: The 2012 Soroptimist International of Fargo Garden Tour will be from 1:30 to 7:30 p.m. Wednesday in north Fargo and Thursday in south Fargo. Tickets, which are $10 per day or $15 for both days, are available at all Hornbacher’s Stores, Baker Garden and Gift, Shotwell Floral and Greenhouse and Holland’s Landscaping and Garden Center. Call (701) 235-1547 for more information.
• Watermelon Festival, Moorhead, Thursday: 2 to 4 p.m. in Gooseberry Park’s large shelter, 100 22nd Ave. S. This free event offers inflatable games, face painting, prizes, a clown and free pop and fresh watermelon while supplies last.
• Pride 5K Fun Run and Walk, Fargo, Thursday: The second annual FM Pride 5K Fun Run and Walk starts at 7 p.m. at Dike East. The all-ages race celebrates the lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender community. Proceeds will benefit Fargo-Moorhead Pride and Kaleidoscope, a local LGBTQ youth support group.
• Scheels Family Fun Fest, Fargo, Thursday: Check out a 30-foot climbing wall, inflatable games and more starting at 4 p.m. in the Scheels parking lot at 4550 15th Ave. S. There will also be old-fashioned carnival rides, a mini petting zoo, dunk tank and more. Call (701) 298-2918 for more information.
• Hjemkomst Celebration, Moorhead, Saturday: The 30th anniversary celebration of the Hjemkomst is from 1 to 5 p.m. in the Hjemkomst Center in Moorhead. It will kick off a new exhibit with voyage artifacts. The exhibit will run through Dec. 31. Call (218) 299-5511 for more information.
Have a comment to share about a story? Letters to the editor should include author’s name, address and phone number. Generally, letters should be no longer than 250 words. All letters are subject to editing. Send a letter to the editor.
Readers can reach Forum reporter Jessica Ballou at (701) 241-5509