Jessica Ballou, Published July 08 2012
Summer events listing: Red River Valley Fair kicks off TuesdayWEST FARGO – The annual Red River Valley Fair is set for Tuesday through Sunday at the West Fargo Fairgrounds.
Daily events include a petting zoo, “Thank a Farmer” show and more.
Main gate admission is free from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. each day. Attendees can receive $2 off an adult gate admission if they are fans of the Red River Valley Fair on Facebook and print off a coupon, or if they bring at least two nonperishable food items Sunday.
The musical act schedule is as follows: Arch Allies, 8 p.m. Tuesday; Katie Armiger, Kip Moore and Ely Young Band, 8 p.m. Wednesday; Hairball, 8 p.m. Thursday; Boomtown and Jerrod Niemann, 8 p.m. Friday; Pop Evil and Chevelle, 8 p.m. Saturday; and Lost Highway and Justin Moore, 8 p.m. Sunday.
The fair was changed from nine days to six days and moved back a week because of the July 4 holiday.
Hours are from 11 a.m. to when the concerts are finished each night.
Other events this week include:
• Summer Vintage Film Series, Monday, Moorhead: Visit Minnesota State University Moorhead 7:30 p.m. each Monday in July to check out a vintage film for $4 each in Weld Hall. “Sparrows” from 1926 will be shown this Monday.
• RiverArts, Tuesday, Moorhead: RiverArts features a free outdoor concert, horse-drawn carriage rides, games and more in Memorial Park, 210 8th St. N. Tuesday’s is set for 5:30 to 8 p.m. and features a River Keepers fishing clinic and a concert.
• Family Fun Concerts, Wednesday, Fargo: The Fargo Park District is hosting a series of four concerts in July and August for people of all ages. The Fat Daddy’s will perform 7 to 8:30 p.m. Wednesday in Village West Park, 4415 9th Ave. Circle S. There also will be arts and crafts, face painting and a bouncy castle for children. This event is free and open to the public. Call (701) 499-7788 for more information.
• Corks and Canvas Art and Wine Walk, Thursday, Fargo: Visit downtown Fargo from 5 to 9 p.m. Thursday for the fourth annual Corks and Canvas Art and Wine Walk. Tour different galleries, restaurants and bars, including ecce art + yoga, Zandbroz Variety and the HoDo. Pre-sale wristbands are available at participating businesses for $10. Log on to tinyurl.com/Corks-Canvas for more information.
• Legally Blonde The Musical, Thursday through Saturday, Moorhead: See the musical version of the hit movie about a sorority girl who attends Harvard Law to get back at an ex-boyfriend and learns a lot about herself along the way. Tickets are $13 for adults, $11 for seniors and students and $9 for children 12 and younger. The play shows at 8:30 p.m. Thursday through Saturday, July 18-21 and July 24-28 in the Imagine Amphitheater at Bluestem Center for the Arts. Call (218) 477-6502 for more information.
• Hope Days 2012, Friday through Sunday, Hope, N.D.: Visit Hope for the annual Hope Days celebration. Events Friday include a Luverne street dance at 9 p.m.; events Saturday include a parade at 10 a.m. and Hope street dance at 9:30 p.m.; Sunday, a golf tournament is set for 10:30 a.m. Call (701) 945-2772 for more information.
• Pelican Fest, Friday and Saturday, Pelican Rapids, Minn.: Visit Pelican Rapids for a two-day festival that includes the Little Miss Pelican Pageant 5:30 p.m. Friday in Trinity Lutheran Church; Fire Department Water Wars at 1 p.m. Saturday. Call (218) 863-1221 for more information.
• Shinedown Concert, Friday, Fargo: Shinedown will perform at 7:30 p.m. Friday in The Venue at the Hub, 2525 9th Ave. S. Tickets for this all ages show are $38. Doors open at 6:30 p.m. Call (866) 300-8300 for more information.
• Best of Screening for 48 Hour Film Project, Saturday, Fargo: Visit the Fargo Theatre at 7 p.m. Saturday for a “Best of Screening” from the Fargo 48 Hour Film Project. Awards will be given out this night. The theatre is located at 314 Broadway N. Tickets are $9 at the Tickets 300 box office, 218 Broadway N., or tickets300.com.
• Live horse racing, Saturday, Fargo: After a two-year hiatus, live horse racing is back at the North Dakota Horse Park, 5180 19th Ave. N. for the next two weekends. Admission is $3, and free for children 12 and younger. Gates open at 11 a.m. daily, and the first race is set for 1 p.m.
• Prosper Centennial, Saturday and Sunday, Harwood, N.D.: Saturday’s events include a 5K run/walk, parade, talent show, concert and fireworks. Admission is free. Log on to prospernd.com for more information.
• Streets Alive!, Sunday, Fargo: Streets Alive! is an event coordinated through Fargo, Moorhead and West Fargo to get people out of their cars and on their feet. Sunday’s event takes place from noon to 5 p.m. Different pit stops along the route include Activity Alley in Oak Grove Park in Fargo, Participation Parkway in Davy Memorial Park in Moorhead and Education Avenue in Fargo. The event is organized by Cass Clay Healthy People Initiative and Active in Moorhead.
Readers can reach Forum reporter Jessica Ballou at (701) 241-5509