Delcie Light, Devils Lake, N.D., Published July 02 2012
In light of his voting record, can ND families really trust Berg?Heidi Heitkamp is being subjected to attack ads by Rick Berg that are nothing but innuendo and aspersions designed to raise doubts about her. At least one is funded by Carl Rove’s American Crossroads’ outside money.
One ad ends with: “Can North Dakota families trust Heidi Heitkamp?”
Of course we can trust Heitkamp!
The real question is “Can North Dakota families trust Rick Berg?”
Look at a sample of Berg’s voting record found on www. votesmart.org
BERG VOTED AGAINST:
• Affordable Care Act. The Supreme Court just upheld four of five of its provisions.
• Paycheck Fairness Act. Berg is a multi-millionaire who did not even know what the minimum wage is in North Dakota.
• HR 4970 – The Violence Against Women Act.
• Funding for National Public Radio.
• Funding for Women’s Health Care (Planned Parenthood).
• HR 2681 – Clean air standards.
• H Amendment 735 – Protection of endangered species.
• HR 2681 – Disclosure of bonuses and golden parachutes.
BERG VOTED FOR:
• HR 1348 – To allow concealed firearms on campuses.
• HR 2576 – Taxing Social Security.
Yes, Berg voted Yea on HR 2576 to include Social Security benefits in the calculation of Modified Adjusted Gross Income to be taxed. Don’t raise taxes on the rich, however.
Berg signed Grover Norquist’s plege to not raise taxes. Norquist is an unelected partisan who has said, “I’m not in favor of abolishing the government. I just want to shrink it down to the size where we can drown it in the bathtub.” Patriot or partisan?
Berg’s ad suggests that Heitkamp would turn health care decisions over to “unelected bureaucrats.” Norquist is unelected.
Doesn’t Berg owe his loyalty to North Dakota and the U.S., not an “unelected curmudgeon partisan”?
When you see the ads on TV – read the fine print on the bottom. Go to your computer and type in the name of the group and find out who they are and what their purpose is. Be informed. Vote for the person you can trust.
Light, Devils Lake, N.D., is a retired teacher.