Published May 26 2012
Memorial Day observances
• Fargo – Veterans will assemble at 8:20 a.m. at Holy Cross North Cemetery, 1502 32nd Ave. N. There will be a salute to veterans at 8:40 a.m., followed by a Memorial Day Mass at 9 a.m. hosted by Holy Cross Catholic Church. In case of rain, the Mass will be at St. Mary’s Cathedral, Fargo.
At 9:30 a.m., veterans will assemble at Veterans Memorial Bridge between Fargo and Moorhead. A program will begin at 9:45 a.m.
At 10:30 a.m., veterans will assemble at Riverside Cemetery, 2102 5th St. S. A ceremony will begin at 11 a.m. The keynote address will be given by Dan Michaels, Eagle 106.9 radio personality.
Fargo AMVETS Post 7, 1001 1st Ave. S., is also inviting residents looking to retire old flags to drop them off for proper retirement at this time. The annual flag retirement ceremony will be held June 14.
At 12:30 p.m., veterans will again gather for a ceremony at Sunset Memorial Gardens Cemetery, 1715 52nd Ave. S., Fargo.
• Moorhead and Dilworth – The Moorhead American Legion and Dilworth VFW Post 1223 Color Guard have scheduled services at the following times and locations: Veterans Memorial Bridge, 7 a.m.; Sunset Memorial Gardens, Moorhead, 8:45 a.m.; Sabin (Minn.) cemeteries, 9 a.m.; Evergreen Cemetery, Moorhead, 9:50 a.m.; Prairie Home Cemetery, Moorhead, 10:15 a.m.; St. Joseph Cemetery North, Moorhead, 10:30 a.m.; and Riverside Cemetery North, Moorhead, 10:40 a.m.
A program is scheduled at 11 a.m. at the National Guard Armory, 1002 15th Ave. N., Moorhead. Dilworth Mayor Chad Olson, National Guard member and Bosnia veteran, will deliver the keynote address.
A Post Memorial service to honor Clay County veterans who have been killed in conflict will be held at 2 p.m. at the Moorhead American Legion, 303 30th St. N.
• West Fargo – A flag-raising ceremony is scheduled at 10:45 a.m. at the West Fargo VFW. A program will follow at 11 a.m. Ryan Taylor, Democratic state senator and candidate for North Dakota governor, will speak. Lunch will follow, with proceeds going to the Relief Fund for Veterans.
• Horace, N.D. – Services will be at the following cemeteries: Clemenson, 9:05 a.m.; St. Benedict, 9:30 a.m.; Lower Wild Rice, 9:50 a.m.; Horace, 11 a.m.; Sheyenne River, 11:15 a.m.; St. Johns, 11:30 a.m.; Brinks, 11:45 a.m. In case of rain, a program will be held at 11:45 a.m. in the Horace Senior Center. A potluck dinner will follow at noon. For more information, call Russell Berg at (701) 261-1973.
• Harwood, N.D. – A service is scheduled at the Oakwood Cemetery at 10 a.m. A lunch will follow at the American Legion. In case of rain, the service will be at the club.
• North Dakota Veterans Cemetery, Mandan – A ceremony is scheduled to begin at noon south of Mandan on Highway 1806. U.S. Air Force officer and Bismarck State College President Larry Skogen will deliver the keynote address. Other speakers will include Gov. Jack Dalrymple, Sen. John Hoeven, Rep. Rick Berg and Maj. Gen. David Sprynczynatyk, adjutant general for the North Dakota National Guard.