« Continue Browsing

e-mail article Print     e-mail article E-mail

John Wheeler, WDAY, Published May 18 2012

Weather Talk: Every home and business should have tornado plan

A recent study by a Mississippi State University sociologist found that about 10 percent of people are very anxious about severe thunderstorms and tornadoes and react to any weather warning by taking shelter immediately. The reaction of most of the other 90 percent is to immediately look for more information.

Most storm warnings do not result in immediate danger, and many warnings come without a lot of detail. But sometimes the threat is very real and immediate. Improvements to Doppler radars and better training of storm spotters gives us much more information about approaching storms than we used to have, but there will always be uncertainty when warnings are issued.

This is why every home, family, and business should have a plan in place to deal with the threat of an approaching tornado. Know where to go and what to do. Be ready – just in case.


Have a weather question you’d like answered? Email weather@wday.com,

or write to WDAY Stormtracker, WDAY-TV, Box 2466, Fargo, ND 58108

Read the blog at http://stormtrack.areavoices.com