« Continue Browsing

e-mail article Print     e-mail article E-mail

Tom Mix, Published May 15 2012

Second-half surge pushes Shanley soccer team to victory

FARGO – Fargo Shanley found itself in a bit of a pressure-filled situation at halftime, but found a way to preserve its undefeated record.

The Deacons scored four goals in the second half to post a 6-2 win over Fargo Davies in an Eastern Dakota Conference girls soccer match on Tuesday at Sid Cichy Stadium.

The EDC’s top two teams played to a 2-2 tie after the first half, and it appeared the match was headed in a different direction from the first time the teams met on May 1, when the Deacons won 5-1.

“We definitely felt the pressure in the first half,” Shanley senior Haley Greving said. “We kind of embraced that pressure in the second half. We thrived on it and got our energy from it.”

Deacons sophomore Anna Reinholz broke the tie 1 minute, 12 seconds into the second half. Reinholz kicked in a ball that deflected off Davies goalkeeper Emery Gess, who was unable to control a save she made on a shot by Shanley midfielder Kelsey Kanwischer. Greving set up Kanwischer with a strong pass from outside the box.

“Haley played a great ball at wide to Kelsey and Kelsey played a great ball across,” Shanley head coach Kevin Roos said. “I think she shot it and Anna was right there to clean it up. That was huge and it was a big momentum change.”

Greving, Sarah Jacobson and Hannah Saville scored the other second-half goals for the Deacons (13-0-1, 11-0-0 EDC).

“The big thing in the second half for us was winning that first ball, winning that second ball and winning those 50-50 balls,” Roos said. “In the first half, we kind of took a little break there a few times and they took advantage of it.”

The first half was much tighter with both teams flexing their offensive arsenals.

Davies struck first when junior forward Emily Wendorff fired a shot past Deacons goalkeeper Elizabeth Bitzan three minutes into the game. It was just the second goal of the season allowed by Shanley.

Shanley answered with a goal of the foot of Sydney Dauenhauer. Greving scored Shanley’s second goal at 23:26.

Davies starting goalkeeper Lauren Olson left the match in the opening minute after a collision in the box. Gess subbed in and recorded 11 saves for the Eagles.

Wendorff added a second goal with just a minute left to play in the first half off a restart direct kick following a handball committed by the Deacons.

“It was a 40 minutes that we played,” Fargo Davies head coach Nick Christianson said. “Both teams played outstanding that whole first half. We scored first, they came back and scored one on us, got another one on us and we showed our determination and got one at the end of the half.

“We did exactly what we needed to do to show that we were ready to play.”

The Eagles fall to 11-3-1 and 8-2-1 in the EDC.

Shanley has earned a victory in its last 11 matches.

“(The Eagles) scored early and they scored late in the half,” Ross said. “They are a great team and they really tested us. They took it to us for a good part of the game.”

FIRST HALF: 1, FD, Wendorff, (Bertsch, McCullough), 3:17. 2, S, Dauenhauer, (Kanwischer, Osmundson), 8:52. 3, S, Greving, (Jacobson), 23:26. 4, FD, Wendorff, 38:57.

SECOND HALF: 5, S, Reinholz, (Kanwischer, Greving), 40:37. 6, S, Jacobson, (Greving, Fraase), 63:20. 7, S, Greving, 67:48. 8, S, Saville, 68:52.

SAVES: FD, Orson 1, Gess 11. S, Bitzan 4.

Readers can reach Forum reporter Tom Mix at (701) 451-5651