« Continue Browsing

e-mail article Print     e-mail article E-mail

Forum staff reports, Published May 08 2012

Fire at Fargo rental house blamed on meat smoker

FARGO – A meat smoker was the apparent cause of a fire early today that displaced two tenants and a dog living in a north Fargo rental house, Assistant Fire Chief LeRoy Skarloken said.

Firefighters responded at about 12:30 a.m. to the house fire at 3175 32nd Ave. N., just west of Hector International Airport.

Smoke was coming from the upper level of the two-story building, which has one rental unit on each floor, each occupied by a tenant, Skarloken said.

The fire had spread through the eaves and into the attic. Firefighters used piercing water nozzles to penetrate the ceiling and roof and extinguish the blaze, he said.

The meat smoker, which was made from an old refrigerator, had been used earlier in the night, Skarloken said.

The top apartment unit sustained fire damage, while the bottom unit had smoke and water damage, he said.