Forum staff reports, Published April 25 2012
Weekend watch: Downtown tunes
While downtown visitors pound the pavement, venues up and down the street have their own beats this week, showing off what their spaces can do with a diverse bunch of shows.
• The Hotel Donaldson Lounge, 101 Broadway, kicks things off tonight with The Fillers. The free set by the local blues/rock act will set your toes tapping toward the weekend. Call (701) 478-1000 for more information.
• Get your funky folk on Friday night when singer/guitarist Citizen Cope plays an intimate set at the Fargo Theatre, 314 Broadway. His music starts at 8 p.m. Advance tickets are $25.50, plus fees. (800) 300-8300.
• If jazz is your bag, check out Bob Mintzer Friday night at Studio 222, 222 Broadway, when the sax man behind The Yellowjackets band blows with the Minnesota State University Moorhead Faculty Jazz Trio. Tickets are $5 for students, $10 for non-students.
• Looking past the weekend, The Aquarium, 226 Broadway, presents The Portland Cello Project 9 p.m. Monday night. Exactly what it sounds like, the group consisting mostly of cellos intreprets a variety of musical styles from classical to heavy metal to the hip-hop of Kanye West. Tickets are $8 in advance.
• Further into next week, Mandan, N.D., native Andra Suchy returns to Fargo during a break from singing duets with Garrison Keillor on “A Prairie Home Companion.” Suchy will feature songs from her new album “Little Heart” 8 p.m. Wednesday at ecce art + yoga, 21 Broadway. Tickets are $15. (701) 298-3223.