Sherri Richards, Published April 01 2012
Favorite Things: Richards reveals favoRed color
From small, personal accessories to entire walls, it’s my go-to shade. Though red is often associated with anger, something about the fiery primary color makes me feel happy and comfortable.
Here’s a look at five of my favorite red things that surround me in my home.
- “An Affair in Red Square” is a classic color for nail-brand giant OPI, part of its fall/winter 2007 Russian collection. Described as a romantic shimmering red, the nail polish applies smoothly and is worth every red cent. ($8.50, purchased at Trade Secret)
- My most recent red purchase, this zipper-closure, cushiony Kindle Fire sleeve was my find of the day at Fargo’s recent Unglued Craft Fest. The easy-to-clean red vinyl is adorned with white stitching in a wood grain pattern with occasional hearts. ($20, available at juliemeyer.etsy.com)
- Shortly after purchasing our home in 2004, I chose a rich, ruby red for a living room accent wall. Eight years later, I still love the deep hue – officially called Maleya Red – and have since color-matched paint for our front door and stain for the back deck. (Paint color by Ralph Lauren)
- A 2-quart KitchenAid teakettle has a permanent home on my stovetop. I love its form as much as its function. (Purchased at Target)
- I’m pretty practical about shoes. Any pair I purchase needs to work day in and out. The exception: These open-toe high heels in a faux red crocodile. They screamed sexy when I spotted them at Famous Footwear a few years ago, and still do on the rare occasions I find to wear them today. (Fergalicious by Fergie shoes)