« Continue Browsing

e-mail article Print     e-mail article E-mail

Forum staff reports, Published March 30 2012

Fire at Gateway Collision Center blamed on welding

FARGO - Welding is being blamed for a paint booth fire Friday afternoon inside Gateway Chevrolet Collision Center, 2302 S. University Drive, Fargo.

Firefighters responded at 3:49 p.m. as thick, black smoke was seen billowing from a stack on top of the business.

A worker was welding on the duct work for a paint booth and the paint residue inside the duct ignited, according to a Fargo Fire Department news release.

The fire inside the booth was extinguished quickly and the duct work had to be partially dismantled to put out the fire inside the duct.

Damage was estimated at $15,000, the fire department said. There was minor smoke damage to the rest of the building.