« Continue Browsing

e-mail article Print     e-mail article E-mail

Wendy Reuer, Published March 29 2012

VIDEOS: 86-year-old Moorhead fire victim ID'd

MOORHEAD – Found unconscious in a house full of smoke, an 86-year-old woman was rescued from a fire here Thursday afternoon.

When firefighters arrived they knocked down flames near the back of the home.

Heavy smoke “all the way down to the floor” swelled inside the home, Assistant Fire Chief Greg Doeden said.

“She happened to be laying right in the living room, so Engine 2 did a great job getting her out,” Doeden said.

The woman, found on the main level, was taken to Sanford Health in Fargo by ambulance.

She was identified as 86-year old Elaine Carlson by WDAY-TV. Her condition is unknown.

The Forum was unable to independently verify that information as of press time, Thursday.

Doeden said the woman was breathing at the time she was rescued.

Doeden said crews were called to 1207 10th St. N. around 1:45 p.m. after a neighbor reported the fire.

He said firefighters probably found the woman just in time.

“The conditions were definitely worsening by then,” he said.

Carlson’s daughter, Sandra Carlson also lives at the home. She arrived at the scene shortly after crews rescued her mother.

“When I left she was sitting in front of the TV, watching TV,” Sandra Carlson said.

Fire crews had the fire under control shortly after arriving but stayed on scene for about six hours.

While the fire is still under investigation, Doeden said it appears the fire started on the first floor, near the kitchen area.

Sandra Carson said she was curious to know why the fire started.

“There was nothing left on and my mom doesn't cook,” she said.

There is extensive damage to the main floor of the rambler style home with moderate smoke damage to the basement, Doeden said.

Carlson said she does not have insurance, only renters insurance for business equipment.

However, Sandra Carlson is happy someone was able to spot the fire.

“We live in a neighborhood where there's not a lot of young people so they aren’t all gone so I’m thankful for whoever called in because this could have been a lot worse than it is if it had gone unnoticed,” she said.

She plans to stay with family nearby. The family has lived in the home since 1961.

WDAY contributed to this report.


Readers can reach Forum reporter Wendy Reuer at (701) 241-5530