« Continue Browsing

e-mail article Print     e-mail article E-mail

Associated Press, Published March 14 2012

Smoke detectors didn't save St. Paul couple

ST. PAUL (AP) — Fire officials say the son of a St. Paul couple who lost their lives in a fast-moving house fire had recently installed smoke detectors in his parents' home.

Fire Chief Tim Butler says older people sometimes have trouble hearing the alarms or can't get out easily. St. Paul Fire Marshal Steve Zaccard says the victims are believed to be the couple who lived in the home for decades, 70-year-old Peter Michalek and 66-year-old Maureen Michalek. Zaccard says investigators are trying to determine whether "carelessly discarded" cigarettes were the cause of the fire.

Relatives tell the St. Paul Pioneer Press the fatal fire is the latest tragedy for the Michalek family. The couple's son, Anthony Michalek, died of an accidental drug overdose at the home in January.

___

Information from: St. Paul Pioneer Press, http://www.twincities.com

Copyright 2012 The Associated Press.