« Continue Browsing

e-mail article Print     e-mail article E-mail

Associated Press, Published March 12 2012

WR Moss agrees to deal with 49ers

SANTA CLARA, Calif. – Randy Moss is getting another chance in the NFL.

Moss is back after reaching a one-year contract with the San Francisco 49ers, announced by the team late Monday. ESPN first reported the move a day before the start of the free agency period.

Moss will fill a big void for the reigning NFC West champions.

The 35-year-old Moss worked out with the 49ers earlier in the day – and former NFL quarterback and current coach Jim Harbaugh participated.

“Jim Harbaugh makes 49ers veteran emergency board: Best coach’s workout in NFL history (especially while wearing khakis & a sweatshirt),” Niners CEO Jed York tweeted.

Moss, who worked out last Tuesday with the New Orleans Saints, spent a year out of football and last played for New England, Minnesota and Tennessee during a rocky 2010 season.

The 49ers can sure use him. San Francisco’s receivers managed just one catch for 3 yards in a 20-17 loss in the NFC championship game to the eventual Super Bowl champion New York Giants at Candlestick Park on Jan. 22.

York told reporters earlier Monday at team headquarters his team needed “someone to stretch the field.” The athletic, 6-foot-4 Moss fits the bill.

The 49ers also are working to re-sign quarterback Alex Smith, the No. 1 overall draft pick in 2005, and have reportedly made him a three-year offer. Smith’s representatives haven’t returned multiple messages seeking an update on the status of negotiations.

“Alex is trying to figure out what he wants to do,” York said. “There have been good conversations back and forth.”