Forum staff reports, Published March 03 2012
WF storage fire causes $100,000 in damageWEST FARGO – A fire in a storage building in the 1900 block of Burlington Drive was knocked down quickly Saturday, but the result may still be $100,000 in damage to the building and contents, Assistant Fire Chief Joe Tintes said.
Firefighters got the call about 1 p.m., Tintes said.
When they arrived, heavy smoke, but no flames, was coming from a 40-foot by 60-foot Goldmark Properties storage building.
The fire started when a man working on a pickup inside the building spilled some gasoline, which may have been ignited by a spark from an electrical device, Tintes said. The man tried to extinguish the fire, but it grew too quickly, Tintes said.
Tintes did not have the name of the man who had been in the building, but said he did not appear to have been injured.
The storage building is 150 feet from some apartment buildings, but they were not threatened by the blaze, Tintes said.
The fire was quickly knocked down, but it took the fire crew about an hour to clean up the scene, Tintes said.
Damage could hit $100,000 to the building, pickup and contents, which included electronic equipment, he said.