« Continue Browsing

e-mail article Print     e-mail article E-mail

Eric Peterson, Published February 14 2012

Davies knocks off South-Shanley in first round of region boys hockey tournament

FARGO – Alec Worwa didn’t know he had a move in his arsenal until Tuesday night at Scheels Arena.

Worwa scored a highlight-reel goal in the second period that helped spark Fargo Davies to a 5-1 victory against Fargo South-Shanley in the first round of the East Region boys hockey tournament.

“I have never done that move before,” said Worwa, who also added two assists in the third period.

No. 5-seeded Davies (14-7-1) has won its past five games. The Eagles play No. 1 seed Grand Forks Red River at 6 p.m. Friday in the semifinals at Purpur Arena in Grand Forks.

No. 4 seed South-Shanley (11-11-0) plays Devils Lake at noon in loser-out play.

“Guys have just kind of matured a little bit,” Davies head coach Brian Davidson, whose team is in its second year as a varsity program. “They’ve turned the corner. We were a little bit intimidated last year when we were playing these teams to start with.”

The Eagles and Bruins were tied at 1-1 in the second period when Worwa scored his spectacular goal. On the play, Worwa picked up the puck along the left boards and skated toward the middle of the circle.

The junior forward then split a pair of Bruins, sliding the puck through the legs of one of the defenseman. The 5-foot-8, 160-pound Worwa then cut across the face of the goaltender and flipped the puck into the net using his backhand.

That goal gave the Eagles a 2-1 lead at 10 minutes, 58 seconds of the second period. That was Davies’ second goal in less than two minutes.

“I have never seen that move out of him before,” Davidson said. “It was an incredible move. It was a full-speed move, just a power move to the net. It was a nice play.”

The Eagles pushed that lead to two goals at early the third period. Worwa played a hand in that score, feeding sophomore Alek Groth, who came open between the top of the circles. Groth fired a shot into the upper part of the net for a 3-1 lead at 5:58 of the third.

“I think the third goal was the momentum change,” South-Shanley head coach Wade Storey said. “We missed an assignment on a back check. From there, everyone was kind of getting down on themselves.”

Groth’s first goal sparked a three-goal third period for Davies. Groth added a second goal later in the third period. That also came off a Worwa assist.

“There are guys that we count on and we are getting the job done,” Davidson said of his top line.

South-Shanley took a 1-0 lead at 2:49 of the first period after senior forward Jarrett Olson-Etches scored on a power play. The Bruins couldn’t find the back of the net from that point.

“The message is to get rid of this one right away and don’t let it beat us up too much,” Storey said. “Our senior leadership has got to step up to the plate.”

FIRST PERIOD: 1, FSS, Olson-Etches (Blumer) 2:49 (pp).

SECOND PERIOD: 2, FD, Sigurdson (Groth, Pallen) 9:13 (pp). 3, FD, Worwa 10:58.

THIRD PERIOD: 4, FD, Groth (Worwa) 5:58. 5, FD, Groth (Worwa) 12:44. 6, FD, Bischof (Davis, Lindemoen) 13:50.

SAVES: FD, Windels 11-11-7-29. FSS, Goff 9-7-6-22.

Readers can reach Forum reporter

Eric Peterson at (701) 241-5513.

Peterson’s blog can be found

at peterson.areavoices.com