« Continue Browsing

e-mail article Print     e-mail article E-mail

Published February 06 2012

Candle blamed for West Fargo mobile home fire

WEST FARGO – A 1-year-old girl and her parents were treated for smoke inhalation after a residential fire Monday morning in West Fargo’s Brookwood Mobile Home Park, authorities said.

Fire Chief Roy Schatschneider said a smoke alarm alerted the homeowners to the fire at about 2:36 a.m. in the 1300 block of Starr Avenue.

“It’s very fortunate that they had that in operation at the time. Otherwise it could have been a very tragic scene there,” he said.

Everyone escaped the house safely before firefighters arrived. The girl and her mother were taken by ambulance to Essentia Health in Fargo, and the father later followed, West Fargo Police Officer Ryan Denis said.

Schatschneider said the fire is believed to have started by a candle the homeowners forgot to put out. The fire was contained to the bathroom, but the home sustained heat and smoke damage throughout.

Firefighters also rescued a cat from the home, he said. The Red Cross and Salvation Army responded to the scene.