« Continue Browsing

e-mail article Print     e-mail article E-mail

Forum staff reports, Published January 18 2012

Buxton fire leaves family of 5 homeless

GRAND FORKS – A Buxton, N.D., family was driven from their home when a fire broke out Wednesday afternoon at 115 Ives St.

The Buxton Fire Department responded around 1:30 p.m. No one was injured.

The fire started in the attic probably because of a problem with the electrical system, according to Leona Christie, who lived there with her husband, Scott. She said she hasn’t heard anything from the fire officials though.

There were three others in the house aside from the Christies at the time of the fire – Leona’s daughter Tiffany, son Gavin and uncle Nick.

For the most part, the fire was confined to the attic, but Leona Christie said there is water damage in some places and the house will need a new roof and likely some electrical work.

The American Red Cross is putting the family up in a hotel for a few days while they decide how to move forward.

Members of the Hillsboro Fire Department also assisted on the scene.