Published December 23 2011
Rural Clay County home loses roof in fire possibly linked to chimneyGLYNDON, Minn. – A fire that severely damaged a rural Clay County home early this morning likely ignited near the chimney, a fire official said today.
Glyndon Fire Chief Bob Cuchna said the house fire at 17701 28th Ave. S., about 10 miles east of Glyndon just southeast of Buffalo River State Park, was first reported at about 12:15 a.m.
When Glyndon fire fighters arrived, flames were coming out of the roof of the two-story home, he said.
Cuchna said the woman who owns the home found the fire. She and her adult son were there at the time, but they escaped without injury and are staying with relatives, he said.
The fire chief said it took about 20 minutes to put out the flames and another 30 minutes to douse some smoldering areas.
Cuchna said there wasn’t an immediate estimate of the damage done, but the house might not be a complete loss.
“Of course, the roof is gone,” he said.