Pet tortoise, nearly a century old, survives massive garage fire
Published 12/14/2011, INFORUM
LIVERMORE, Calif. — The fire in the San Francisco Bay Area city of Livermore destroyed the garage, collapsing its roof and reducing large garbage bins to plastic pancakes. Combing through the wreckage, firefighters came across the shell of a tortoise and were sure it was dead.
Then Pokey stuck his leg out.
The full article is available to newspaper subscribers. If you are a subscriber please log in to continue reading.