Associated Press, Published October 27 2011
Report: Nursing home resident frm Alexandria given doses of high potassiumMINNEAPOLIS — A state investigation has found a Minnesota nursing home resident was mistakenly given high doses of potassium that contributed to her fatal cardiac arrest.
The Minnesota Health Department released its report this week in the death of 84-year-old Darlene Felt of Alexandria.
The Star Tribune says the report places blame for Felt's overdoses last November on Bethany Home.
The report says the pharmacist who filled the prescription called the Alexandria nursing home about the “unusually high dose” and was assured by a nurse that it was accurate.
The doctor's potassium order showed an 8 followed by a filled-in dark circle. But workers at Bethany Home interpreted the dark circle as a zero.
Executive Director Carol Kvidt says Bethany Home is working to ensure something like this never happens again.