Forum staff reports, Published May 18 2011
Fire destroys West Fargo mobile home
West Fargo Fire Chief Roy Schatschneider said it took about 15 minutes for firefighters to extinguish the flames at 1372 Starr Ave., a trailer in Brookwood Mobile Home Park.
“We had quite a bit of fire venting through the entryway,” said the fire chief.
The trailer appears to be a complete loss, with three-quarters of the interior burnt and serious smoke damage throughout, Schatschneider said.
He said the fire was first noticed by one of the park’s residents, who was having lunch just outside of the mobile home. He said there were three people living in the mobile home and two home at the time of the fire.
The cause of the fire was not immediately determined, but Schatschneider said a lit candle had been burning inside the home.
Little if any property was recovered from the home, he said.
One of the trailer’s residents, Theresa Mann, said she saw a couch inside the home engulfed in flames when she tried to go inside to look for a cat. Mann said one of their three cats was missing, but it may have been already outside.
“I hope so,” Mann said.
Red Cross officials were working to arrange temporary housing for the night.