Published February 25 2011
Adventure awaits at ND 4-H camps near WashburnWant to learn archery, hunting skills or how to shoot a rifle?
How about taking ATV training or learning to work with fibers such as yarn and thread or make jerky and identify animal tracks?
The 4-H Camp that begin May 31 near Washburn has a camp for that.
4-H Camp also has camps where youths can learn how to groom and show livestock, care for a horse or express themselves with arts and crafts, as well as go swimming, canoeing and fishing; go on nature hikes and trail rides; play sports; learn about birds and other wildlife; compete in 4-H’s version of the “Survivor” game; dance; stay up late to enjoy night challenge games; and sit around a campfire.
Other camps are specifically for youths from military families or youths from military-connected families, such as brother, sisters, nieces or nephews of someone in the military.
Military-connected youths participate in fun traditional 4-H camping activities along with sessions that focus on the life events youth face as a military family member. They also learn outdoor skills, such as archery and fishing, and make friends.
The camps are open to all youth ages 5 to 18, not just those who are 4-H members.
Registration for this summer’s camps starts March 1.
Here are the dates and age group for the camps:
- May 31-June 4: Livestock Camp, 8 and older; Wish I Had a Horse Camp I, 8 to 10.
- June 5-9: Outdoor Adventures for Military-connected Youth, 8 to 12.
- June 8-11: Barrel and Pole Horse Camp, 8 and older; Horsemanship Camp, 8 and older.
- June 12-16: Survivor Outdoor Recreation Camp, 9 and older.
- June 17-18: Cloverbud Camp, 6 to 8.
- June 19-23: Trail Riding Horse Camp, 8 and older; Wish I Had a Horse Camp II, 8 to 10.
- June 26-30: Military Youth Camp I, 8 to 11.
- July 5-9: Wildlife Adventure Camp, 11 and older; Discover Camp, 8 to 11.
- July 10-14: Military Youth Camp II, 12 to 15.
- July 17-21: Beginning Outdoor Skills Camp, 10 to 15.
- July 24-28: Adventure Camp, 8 to 12.
- July 31-Aug. 4: Fun With Fiber Arts Camp, 10 to 15; Night Owls Camp, 11 and older.
For more information or to register, visit www.ndsu.edu/4h/camp or call (701) 231-7251.