Forum staff reports, Published January 28 2011
More funding granted for Moorhead buyoutsThe Minnesota Department of Natural Resources announced Thursday that it was releasing another $1 million to the city of Moorhead to be used for flood buyouts.
The announcement follows one earlier this month regarding a $2 million grant, meaning Moorhead will have a total of $3 million to spend on buyouts in February.
City Manager Michael Redlinger said the money should make possible the acquisition of 16 to 18 homes, which would be assessed and made free of hazardous materials before a spring flood arrives.
The buyouts bring to about 104 the total acquired in Moorhead since the flood of 2009.
Redlinger said the city’s buyout program will remain open awhile longer in case additional state dollars become available.