Forum Communications Co., Published January 23 2011
Residents retrieve belongings from fire-damaged buildingGRAND FORKS - Several firefighters remained on the scene Sunday of an apartment fire here that began in a third-floor kitchen Thursday night, a fire official said.
Residents were allowed to return to the building, at 2530 17th Ave. S., around 1 p.m. Sunday to retrieve belongings. The fire displaced 16 people, some of whom are staying in hotel rooms provided by the Red Cross.
No residents or pets were injured in the fire, a fire official said.
Fire crews were first called to the 12-plex around 8 p.m. Thursday to extinguish a fire caused by cooking food left unattended. The fire caused substantial damage to the apartment unit's kitchen and smoke damage to the third floor.
Firefighters were called back to the scene Friday morning to find the roof in flames. "The full roof was involved this morning. It was being fanned by the winds," Capt. Randy Fetsch said on Friday. Crews have been on the scene since.