Matt Von Pinnon, Published January 23 2011
Von Pinnon: Forum’s Readers Board gets six new membersMeet the six new members of The Forum’s Readers Board. They join six returning members whose terms expire in June. Members stay on for a year, but terms are staggered by a half-year.
The paper’s community sounding board chooses its own successors.
The Forum thanks the members whose terms expired in December: Michael Olsen, Seiko Shastri, Shauna Vistad, Shelda Warren and David Woods.
The new members:
- Gurnee Bridgman, 79, of Fargo is a retiree who spends his time volunteering with the Scottish Rite Language Center and on hobbies such as exercising, reading and operating a ham radio. He earned a degree in psychology from the University of Michigan in 1954 and a master’s degree in biology from Bemidji (Minn.) State University in 1998. He lived in the Fargo area from 1982 to 1991 and returned in 1998. He is a widower and has a daughter who lives in Fargo.
- Lisa Dahlen, 25, of Fargo is the public relations officer for Hospice of the Red River Valley. She earned bachelor’s degrees in marketing and communications from Concordia College and has lived in the area since beginning college in 2004.
- Marcy Matson, 61, of Moorhead is the director of federal programs for the Detroit Lakes (Minn.) School District. She earned a master’s degree in special education and a graduate degree in educational leadership from Minnesota State University Moorhead. She is married and has lived in the area all her life.
- Kevin Melicher, 60, of Fargo is an optometrist and owner of Eyecare Associates in the West Acres mall. He earned degrees from North Dakota State University and the Illinois College of Optometry. He is married, has two adult children and has lived in the area since 1956.
- Tom Thoreson, 60, Moorhead, is a substitute teacher and full-time church organist for Plymouth Congregational United Church of Christ in Fargo. He earned his bachelor’s degree in elementary education from MSUM in 1972 and a master’s degree in elementary education and educational administration from the Tri-College University in 1984. He has been married for 41 years and is the father of two sons.
- Joshua Voytek, 26, of Fargo works in the mental health field for Gull Harbour IRTS in Moorhead. He earned a history degree from Jamestown (N.D.) College and is currently pursuing a master’s degree in counseling from the University of North Dakota, Grand Forks. Voytek is single and has lived in Fargo for over three years.
- Brenda Hagel, 47, works from her West Fargo home as community manager for the Game Show Network, and moderates various online communities and blogs. She is married and has a son attending NDSU. She has lived in the area most of her life.
- Andy Kalbus, 35, of Fargo works as a desktop technician in the city of Fargo computer department. He has earned two associate’s degrees and is currently pursuing his bachelor’s degree from Mayville (N.D.) State University. He is the married father of two who has lived in the area his whole life.
- Michelle Malott, 43, of Fargo is the dean of the college of social and natural sciences at MSUM. She grew up in Windsor, Ont., where she earned a biology degree at the University of Windsor. She later earned her doctorate at Wright State University, Dayton, Ohio. Malott is married and has lived in the area for nine years.
- David Nerud, 42, of West Fargo has served as the shop supervisor at Fargo, Glass and Paint since retiring from the Army in 2008 at the rank of master sergeant. He earned a master’s degree in business. Nerud is married and the father of five children and has lived in the area for 12 years.
- Benjamin Sung, 33, of Moorhead is the concertmaster of the Fargo-Moorhead Symphony Orchestra, an adjunct professor at NDSU and MSUM, and artistic director of the MSUM Performing Arts Series. He earned a bachelor’s degree in music from the Eastman School of Music, Rochester, N.Y., and his master’s and doctorate degrees at Indiana University, Bloomington. He is married and has lived in the area for three years.
- Paul Tefft, 65, of Fargo is a retired government and history teacher and coach. He earned a bachelor’s degree in history and political science from Minot (N.D.) State University and did graduate work at NDSU. He is married and has lived in the area since 1972.
Von Pinnon is editor of The Forum. Reach him at(701) 241-5579.