« Continue Browsing

e-mail article Print     e-mail article E-mail

Jeff Kolpack, Published January 21 2011

Kolpack: NDSU’s Page survives health scare

The power and the speed have never been problems for North Dakota State junior Brittany Page. She set six South Dakota state high school track and field records at Watertown High School and made her way into a couple of top 10 lists her first two years at North Dakota State.

She has the school’s fourth-best time in the indoor 60 meters and is

No. 5 in Bison history in the outdoor 100 meters. A strong athlete who squat lifted 180 pounds before she left for Christmas break, she was poised to improve on that.

Then she woke up at home in Watertown on Christmas morning, a Saturday, with a headache and a fever. Nothing uncommon. It got worse on Sunday and flu was the natural self diagnosis. By Monday, she had a rash on her leg, a sore throat and a fever of 103 degrees.

The fever went down on Tuesday, so she was able to convince her parents to let her go to a Christian student conference in the Twin Cities on Tuesday.

“Once I was there, I got so weak I had to have a friend put my shoes on,” she said.

A nurse took her to Hennepin County Hospital in Minneapolis, where after a multitude of tests that encompassed some 30 doctors, she got the following diagnosis: toxic shock syndrome.

And the biggest shock? If Page hadn’t gone to the emergency room, doctors told her she probably had about 12 hours to live.

Her blood pressure was very low, her heart was failing, her kidneys were failing, her liver and spleen were enlarged and her gall bladder was infected.

“If I had gone unconscious, they said I would have had some brain damage,” she said. “Yeah, it’s crazy to think about it. There’s not much I could have done to avoid it.”

Toxic shock syndrome is a rare disease caused by bacteria and in this case, origin unknown. A student of strong faith, Page said she wasn’t worried lying in the ICU at the hospital for three days.

It helped that students at the conference were only blocks away and visitors were common.

“I was a lucky girl,” she said.

These days, she mostly watches her Bison teammates practice. She’s redshirting this indoor season and hopes to be ready for outdoor.

She lost 10 pounds of muscle and her squat lift is less than half of what it was. Yet, in the big picture, she was only about 12 hours away from not being here.

“I’m so thankful and blessed,” she said, with a laugh. “It’s weird to watch my teammates run, but I was planning on redshirting at some point anyway. I’ve progressively gotten better each year so I’m glad I’ll be here for a fifth year.”

Forum reporter Jeff Kolpack can be heard on the Saturday Morning Sports Show,

9-11 a.m. on WDAY-AM (970).

He can be reached at (701) 241-5546.

Kolpack’s NDSU media blog can be found

at www.areavoices.com/bisonmedia