Forum staff reports, Published January 20 2011
Otter Tail prepares for spring floodingFERGUS FALLS, Minn. – The Otter Tail County Emergency Operations Team urges residents to prepare for the possibility of spring flooding.
A high water table, above-normal rainfall during the past year and heavy snowfall may result in spring flooding, the county stated in a news release.
Areas that have not typically experienced flooding in the past may be vulnerable this spring.
The Federal Emergency Management Agency advises:
- Installing and maintaining a sump pump.
- Elevating furnace, water heater and electrical panels if susceptible to flooding.
- Constructing levees, beams or floodwalls to stop floodwater. Call Otter Tail County Land and Resource at (218) 998-8095 for construction information.
- Sealing basement walls.
- Anchoring indoor and outdoor fuel tanks.
- Moving important documents and valuables to second story if possible.
- Considering purchasing flood insurance. Many policies require a waiting period before insurance takes effect.