Forum staff reports, Published January 03 2011
Road conditions still poor in west-central Minnesota, including I-94 stretchDETROIT LAKES, Minn. – Motorists should use caution on roads in west-central Minnesota, the Minnesota Department of Transportation and Minnesota State Patrol urged today.
Interstate 94 between Alexandria and Moorhead is still classified as having difficult driving conditions due to ice and drivers are urged to slow down.
MnDOT and the state patrol offer these driving tips:
- Check road conditions at www.511mn.org or call 511.
- Drive slowly, especially on bridges, overpasses and tunnels.
- Be patient and remember snowplows are working to improve road conditions for your trip.
- Stay back at least five car lengths behind the plow, and a safe stopping distance from the vehicle in front of you.
- Stay alert as snowplows turn or exit frequently and often with little warning; they may also travel over centerlines or partially in traffic to further improve road conditions.
- Turn your headlights on to increase your visibility to other motorists.
- Buckle up and make sure child restraints are secured correctly.