Published December 19 2010
Ask Your Government: How many tuition dollars are waived in North Dakota each year?Dear readers,
One of my blog readers asked the following:
“For the past five years, how many dollars of tuition have been waived each year, and what percent is that of the total tuition that would have been charged for all students? Second question: What is the breakout of those tuition waivers between undergrad, master’s and doctoral students and by degree area? Again by year.”
Here’s what Laura Glatt of the North Dakota University System said:
“Earlier this year, the NDUS (North Dakota University System) began producing a new report on waivers with substantially more detailed information. (NOTE: The report referred to here and an updated one can be found at northdakota.areavoices.com).
“You will note that we do not collect information by level of instruction. However, you will note detailed information by campus, by residency category. Also, on page six you will find information related to different categories of waivers, including graduate student waivers. The report includes several interesting and generally surprising facts, including:
“1.) While the NDUS provided tuition discounts of $27 million during 2008-09, the students receiving a tuition discount still paid campuses over $16 million in tuition, almost $10 million in on-campus housing and meal plans, and over $6 million in mandatory fees, for total payments to the institutions of over
$33 million. (Chart 1).
“2.) Of the total 50,823 headcount degree-credit students enrolled in the NDUS in 2008-09, approximately 15% (7,707 students) received a full or partial tuition discount, while the remaining 85% received no discount at all. Of the 15.2% that received a discount, 4.5% (2,283 students) received a full discount, while the remaining 10.6% (5,424 students) received a partial discount (partial discount can range from 1 to 99% of the posted tuition charge.) (Chart 2, section D)
“3.) Over half (52%) of all full and partial discounts are provided to North Dakota residents (4,027), 24% to in-country nonresidents (1,804), and 24% to international students (1,876). (Chart 5)
“Here is the amount of waivers for each of the past five years as you requested:
04-05 $20.3 million
05-06 $22.2 million
06-07 $23.7 million
07-08 $24.1 million
08-09 $27.3 million
“A large portion of the rate of increase over this period of time can be attributed to tuition rate increases. As tuition rates increase, so does the amount of any waiver.”
Do you have a question for a North Dakota state government official or agency? Send us your question, and we’ll do our best to find an answer.
E-mail firstname.lastname@example.org (Subject: Ask your government).
You may also write to Teri Finneman, c/o Forum Communications, Press Room, State Capitol, Bismarck, ND 58505.
Please include your name, town and a phone number to reach you for verification.
Teri Finneman is a multimedia reporter for Forum Communications Co.