« Continue Browsing

e-mail article Print     e-mail article E-mail

Published December 17 2010

Audubon man suffers burns in house fire

An Audubon, Minn., man was injured in a house fire Thursday morning and sent to a Twin Cities hospital with burns to his hands, feet and back.

Audubon Fire Chief Darcy Savig said firefighters were called to the house on the 18000 block of Deroxe Road, where flames were coming through the roof.

“The fire looked like it started around the fireplace chimney, which was a round metal pipe going through the ceiling of the room and out the roof,” Savig said.

However, the state fire marshal will be investigating the cause of the fire. The home was a total loss.

The injured homeowner, David Howard, was first transported to Essentia Health St. Mary’s in Detroit Lakes before he was taken to the Twin Cities.

Firefighters were battling the blaze for about three hours. Audubon received mutual aid from the Detroit Lakes and Lake Park fire departments.

Savig said it’s important that homeowners get their chimneys properly inspected during this time of year.

“If it looks chunky, clogged up, then it needs to have a good cleaning,” he said. “It doesn’t hurt to have a professional come out and look at it, too.”