« Continue Browsing

e-mail article Print     e-mail article E-mail

Published December 08 2010

Boys hockey: Spartans, Davies skate to tie

Overtime was coming to a close and it just so happened Fargo Davies boys hockey forward Cole Wurzer was closing in on net.

Wurzer managed to get a breakaway with three seconds left only to see his shot beat Fargo North goalie Nick Schmit yet hit the crossbar bringing a sigh of relief to some and disappointment to others.

Instead of a game-winner, Wurzer and Davies will have to live with knowing it rallied from a two-goal deficit by skating to a 3-3 tie with North on Tuesday at Scheels Arena.

“I felt good about the shot,” Wurzer said. “I just wish it went in.”

Wurzer’s sentiments were shared by players and coaches in both locker rooms.

Davies (1-1-1) only had 15 shots, yet found a way to make them count in the third period when goals by Grant Birmingham and Jordan Foster tied the game at 3-3.

Those goals came in the midst of what was one of the Eagles’ most frustrating periods this season. Davies constantly found itself in the penalty box.

“Watching that did get frustrating because it was hard getting chances,” said Davies coach Brian Davidson. “And when we got chances, it was like at times, they were getting blocked.”

Turns out, North (3-2-1) coach Rob Aasand had similar feelings about the way his team performed. The Spartans did their best to take advantage of the Eagles’ penalty woes.

It is just that whenever North tried to get into a groove, it got into the penalty box instead.

“Yeah, you can say it was frustrating,” he said. “Not being able to get those shots to go in was frustrating but right now we’re searching for a player that can be a true finisher.”

Defenseman Broadie Gylten had a solid enough performance to force Aasand to give him a look. The sophomore blue-liner scored a goal and an assist for the Spartans.

His second-period goal was a tap in that gave North a 3-1 lead before South’s rally.

Gylten had a chance to put the game away late in the third when he took a shot that beat Davies goalie Tucker Windels, but not the crossbar.

“I thought it was going to go in,” said Gylten, who put his hands on his head seconds after the puck sailed off the crossbar and into the netting above the goal.

Glyten was disappointed with his chance, but was extremely pleased when he saw Wurzer have his chance denied.

“It was a good shot,” Davidson said with a smile. “It was a square shot on the crossbar. You really couldn’t have hit it any better than that.”

FIRST PERIOD: 1. N, Simonson (Gylten), 16:58

SECOND PERIOD: 2. D, Willoughby (unassisted), 8:47. 3. N, Ludlum (Gylten, Harrie), power play, 15:21.

THIRD PERIOD: 4. N, Gylten (Garrett), 8:40. 5. D, Birmingham (Pallen, Sorby), 6:19. 6. D, Foster (Knight, Groth), power play, 11:15. 6

SAVES: N, Schmidt 5-3-0-4 12 saves; D, Windels 8-5-15-5 X saves.

Readers can reach Forum reporter

Ryan S. Clark at (701) 241-5548