« Continue Browsing

e-mail article Print     e-mail article E-mail

Forum staff reports, Published November 29 2010

Moorhead Fire Department responds to mobile home fire

MOORHEAD – The Moorhead Fire Department responded to calls of smoke detectors going off in a mobile home on the 1200 block of 15th Avenue North about 3:30 p.m. today.

One person was home at the time of the fire, but she got outside before fire crews arrived.

Fire crews found a small fire burning in a back bedroom of the home and it was quickly extinguished, said Assistant Moorhead Fire Chief Greg Doeden.

The home suffered extensive smoke and fire damage. Doeden said the family would not be able to return home tonight.

Doeden said early signs and statements by the resident point to a space heater in one of the bedrooms as the fire’s cause.

“We have fires every year from space heaters” Doeden said. “A word to the wise is to be careful with those.”

No one was injured. Two cats were rescued from the home.