Published October 15 2010
Forum editorial: Stenehjem has earned re-electionNorth Dakota has one of the most competent attorneys general in the nation. His exemplary service to North Dakotans has been distinguished not only by his legal expertise but also by the genuine enthusiasm he brings to the job. Wayne Stenehjem has earned re-election to a fourth term.
His Democratic opponent, Fargo attorney Jeanette Boechler, was not seeking her party’s nomination but accepted it when no one stepped up at the nominating convention. That scenario suggests she is a less-than-committed candidate. Her campaign suggests the same thing.
Stenehjem’s record is impressive. Seasoned in both houses of the Legislature for more than 20 years, he has a broad understanding of state government and specifically the attorney general’s role. His successful initiatives include:
- Coordinating drug enforcement efforts with other agencies, such as human services.
- A sex offender website to provide individuals and communities with up-to-date information on the whereabouts and statuses of offenders.
- A campaign against meth labs and trafficking that has been very successful.
- Establishing a state do-not-call list as one tool to prevent abuse of consumers by telemarketers.
- A user-friendly online identity-theft program.
- The “cold case” investigations squad to assist local law enforcement with unsolved homicide and missing-persons cases.
- A sobriety pilot program to prevent repeat DUI offenders from drinking and driving.
In additional to those accomplishments, Stenehjem is among the most aggressive attorneys general in state history in enforcing open records/open meetings laws. His commitment to sunshine in government at all levels has made elected officials more responsive to the public.
Finally, Stenehjem has over the years assembled a highly skilled team of lawyers and staff to do the work of his office. His leadership and their outstanding performance comprise a responsive and efficient attorney general’s office. He should be re-elected on Nov. 2.
Forum editorials represent the opinion of Forum management and the newspaper’s Editorial Board.