« Continue Browsing

e-mail article Print     e-mail article E-mail

Ben Karkela, Published October 11 2010

College soccer: Gaffaney, Stratton help Bison to OT win

North Dakota State juniors Michelle Gaffaney and Abbey Stratton made the most of a second chance on Sunday.

After an unsuccessful throw-in attempt near the net early in overtime, the two connected for the deciding goal 30 seconds later.

Stratton made a throw-in from the right side of the field and Gaffaney beat a defender, heading the ball into the net.

The goal helped the Bison secure a 2-1 victory over Indiana University Purdue University-Indianapolis in Summit League women’s soccer at the Ellig Sports Complex.

“We just fought our way through the whole game, Gaffaney said. “I think that’s what won it, our effort.”

With the assist, Stratton tied her career-high for assists in a season with six.

Both teams battled back-and-forth for control during the game. The Bison outshot the Jaguars 7-4.

The Bison (7-4-3, 2-2-0 Summit) tied the game in the 49th minute on an unlikely play from Stratton.

Stratton scored off a corner kick that went above the goalkeeper’s head and sailed into the top-left side of the net.

The goal surprised not only the Jaguars, but also Stratton.

“That doesn’t happen very often, I just hit it towards the goalie,” Stratton said. “It wasn’t on purpose. I haven’t done that since high school so it felt good.”

The Jaguars (6-8-0, 2-2-0 Summit) struck first, taking a 1-0 lead in the 28th minute.

Freshman forward Sarah Colby got the ball near the top of the box and scored on a low shot into the right side of the net.

The Jaguars were looking to get back into the win column after having their four-game win streak snapped in a 2-0 loss to South Dakota State on Friday.

“For the most part of the day we were in the game,” IUPUI head coach Chris Johnson said. “We made a couple mistakes, one that let them back in the game that we can’t afford to make again.”

The Bison received a scare with 37 minutes left in the second half. Redshirt freshman goalkeeper Kathy Kelsey collided with an IUPUI player while making a challenge for the ball on a breakaway.

The Jaguars appeared to score on the play, but the referee stopped play before the ball crossed the goal line.

Kelsey was knocked unconscious in the collision, delaying the game for 20 minutes before she was taken away by ambulance. Her condition was not known following the game.

Kelsey finished the game with two saves. Junior goalkeeper Kalani Bertsch played in relief and finished the game with one save.

“We had to rely on everybody this weekend,” NDSU head coach Peter Cuadrado said. “Gaffaney did a great job going up and putting the ball in the net and it was nice to see Kalani come in and come up big for us.”

FIRST HALF: 1, IUPUI, Colby, 28:16.

SECOND HALF: 2, NDSU, Stratton, 49:02.

OVERTIME: 3, Gaffaney (Stratton), 92:08.

SAVES: IUPUI, Haseley 5. NDSU, Kelsey 2; Bertsch 1.

Readers can reach Forum reporter

Ben Karkela at (701) 241-5549