« Continue Browsing

e-mail article Print     e-mail article E-mail

McClatchy-Tribune Information Services, Published September 22 2010

David Hasselhoff first to be eliminated on 'Dancing with the Stars'

By Roger Catlin, The Hartford Courant

He may be big in Germany, but voters for "Dancing with the Stars" didn't like David Hasselhoff, making him the first eliminated from the show's big 11th season on Tuesday.

Hasselhoff, 58, and his partner Kym Johnson were tied for last place among the judges, too, tying with Mike "the Situation" Sorrentino and Margaret Cho for last place Monday among judges, with just 15 points out of possible 30. Their cha-cha to Tom Jones' "Sex Bomb" bombed.

"It's been a great ride. I feel bad for Kym because she worked so hard in getting me going," Haselhoff said after the elimination.

"Of all the first people to leave in all the seasons I've hosted, this was the biggest surprise to me," host Tom Bergeron said.

For Johnson, it was the second time she and her partner were cut first, after working with Penn Gillette in season six. But she won the competition the last season she was on, paired with Donny Osmond (she skipped season 10). Previously, she had also won a season on the version of the show that airs in her home country, Australia.

Being in the bottom, Hasselhoff said earlier in Tuesday's show, was "almost like 'America's Got Talent' payback." After a career that included starring roles in "Knight Rider" and "Baywatch," Hasselhoff had been judge on "America's Got Talent" until this summer. He still is apparently a big star in Germany, and Johnson was seen in a tape flying there to meet her short-lived partner backstage at a concert there.

The show doesn't say specifically how everyone was ranked, but Disney channel star Kyle Massey was seen as the last one standing alongside Hasselhoff before being declared safe. Also among the six last to be declared safe were Bristol Palin, Kurt Warner, Brandy and The Situation.