Emily Hartley, Published August 30 2010
Summer events: Full steam ahead in Rollag
The Western Minnesota Steam Threshers Reunion will roll out in Rollag, Minn., this Friday through Monday, an annual celebration of old-time steam engines and the threshermen and women who keep the tradition going.
Besides this year’s expo, featuring equipment from Allis Chalmers, daily activities include morning and afternoon parades, “ladies activities,” a vintage style show and music and square dancing around the 210 acres of grounds.
Of course, there will also be train rides and plenty of demonstrations.
The honorary Steam Queen presentation is Friday at 7:30 p.m., with the coronation at the same time Saturday.
Friday through Sunday nights also feature a “Spark Show” and the Prony Brake, weather permitting.
The Steam Threshers Reunion has been open to the public every Labor Day weekend since 1954.
Other events around the region this week include:
- Village Green Neighborhood Park Party, Village Green Park, 3050 38th Ave. S., Moorhead. The last neighborhood park night of the summer will feature music, games, crafts, face painting, balloon sculpting and a Games Galore Bounce-N-Slide. Admission is free for the family fun event.
- Harvest Fest, Underwood, Minn., Saturday and Sunday.
If you go
- What: Western Minnesota Steam Threshers Reunion
- When: Friday through Monday
- Where: Rollag, Minn.
- Info: Daily passes are $12, and season passes are $20. Kids 14 and under are admitted free. For more information, visit www.rollag.com.
Readers can reach Forum reporter Emily Hartley at (701) 235-7311