« Continue Browsing

e-mail article Print     e-mail article E-mail

Heidi Shaffer, Published August 26 2010

F-M flood diversion remains on schedule for now, no final decision made

The Fargo-Moorhead diversion project is set continue on its current timeline – for now anyway.

The corps’ St. Paul District Commander, Col. Michael Price, told a group of local and Congressional leaders at a meeting this morning that the corps expects to have a chief’s report on the feasibility study ready by the end of the year as previously planned.

“We’re committed to meeting the chief’s report by end of year, and we’re not going to fall off those unless we determine otherwise,” Col. Price told Rep. Earl Pomeroy, D-N.D., Rep. Collin Peterson, D-Minn., and House Transportation and Infrastructure Chairman James Oberstar, D-Minn.

The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers announced last week that it was considering slowing down the project’s schedule in order to examine written opposition and technical information.

Over the next few weeks, the corps will continue going through public comments on the project, which largely focused on downstream impacts, said Aaron Snyder, the corps’ co-manager for the diversion.

If completed in December, the chief’s report would then likely go to Congress for approval next year.