« Continue Browsing

e-mail article Print     e-mail article E-mail

Associated Press, Published August 21 2010

Grand Forks apartment fire started by child

GRAND FORKS, N.D. (AP) - The Grand Forks fire marshal says a fire earlier this week at an apartment complex was started by a 6-year-old playing with a cigarette lighter.

No serious injuries were reported in Monday night's fire, but the building sustained $100,000 in damage and at least 10 people were displaced.

Fire officials say the fire started in the bedroom of a second-floor apartment occupied by a woman and her daughter. They escaped, though the woman suffered what was described as minor smoke inhalation.

Residents of the other nine occupied units were evacuated and were not able to immediately return because of smoke and water damage.