Emily Hartley, Published July 19 2010
German Folk Festival among events this weekend
The event includes German displays, crafts, food and music, with demonstrations of German forging, the accordion and chip carving.
Plenty of German grub will be available at concessions including sausage and sauerkraut, cheesebuttons, kuchen brownies and hard rolls and schnitzel.
Music from the Austrian band Zweiviertel Musikanten will also fill the farm.
The festival runs from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Other events around the region this week include:
- Fiber Arts Festival, Bonanzaville in West Fargo, 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Saturday and noon to 5 p.m. Sunday. Attendees can watch spinning, weaving and felting, as well as the ancient arts of naalbinding and sprang and a special demonstration of kumihimo, a Japanese form of braid-making. A variety of fiber products including fabric, yarns and scarves will also be for sale.
- Art in the Park, Pelican Rapids, Saturday, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. The craft show will feature over 200 booths. Detroit Lakes will also host its Arts and Crafts in the Park with over 100 booths and live music on Sunday from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- 125 + 1 Celebration, Northwood, N.D., Thursday through Saturday. Highlights of the four-day town celebration include Old Fashioned Saturday events and a craft show, parade, machinery show, used-book sale and talent show on Saturday and dances Friday and Saturday night.
- Community Picnic, Barnesville, Minn., Thursday, 6 p.m. The town will have a picnic with inflatable games and members of the police and fire department on hand to answer questions and show their trucks and cars. Fireworks over Blue Eagle Lake will finish the night.
- Turkey Days, Frazee, Minn., Thursday through Sunday. The town festival includes a sand castle contest, Baby Turkey Crawl and water fights Friday, a car show, soap box and demolition derbies and old-time dance Saturday and the Turkey Days Parade Sunday.
- West Otter Tail County Fair, Fergus Falls, Minn., Wednesday through Sunday. The fair features the Mighty Thomas Carnival, as well as Polka Fest and Motocross Friday, a demolition derby Saturday and 4-H events throughout. Fergus Falls will also host its City-Wide Crazy Days deals throughout the four days, with a craft show Thursday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- East Otter Tail County Fair, Perham, Minn., Wednesday through Sunday. Events begin with Perham’s centennial celebration and comic duo Williams and Ree Wednesday at 7 p.m. The carnival begins Thursday. Other events include a talent competition Thursday, demolition derby Friday and tractor pull Saturday.
- Sargent County Fair, Forman, N.D., Friday through Saturday. The fair features street dances Friday and Saturday night, an antique tractor pull Friday and a demolition derby and Texas Hold-em tournament Saturday.
If you go
- What: German Folk Festival
- When: 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. Sunday
- Where: Rheault Farm, 2902 25th St. S., Fargo
Readers can reach Forum reporter Emily Hartley at (701) 235-7311