Matt Von Pinnon, Published July 18 2010
Von Pinnon: Meet the six new members of The Forum Readers BoardMeet the six new members of The Forum’s Readers Board. They join five returning members whose terms expire in December. Members stay on for a year, but terms are staggered by a half-year.
The paper’s community sounding board chooses its own successors.
The Forum thanks the members whose terms expired in June: Jeffrey DeLoss, Tim Flakoll, Morgan Forness, J.J. Gordon, Sonia Mayo Hohnadel, Ashley Peterson and Chelsea Spanier.
The new members:
- Brenda Hagel, 47, works from her West Fargo home as community manager for the Game Show Network, and moderates various online communities and blogs. She is married and has a son attending North Dakota State University. She has lived in the area most of her life.
- Andy Kalbus, 35, of Fargo works as a desktop technician in the city of Fargo computer department. He has earned two associate degrees and is currently pursuing his bachelor’s degree from Mayville (N.D.) State University. He is the married father of two who has lived in the area his whole life.
- Michelle Malott, 42, of Fargo is the dean of the college of social and natural sciences at Minnesota State University Moorhead. She grew up in Windsor, Ont., where she earned a biology degree at the University of Windsor. She later earned her doctorate at Wright State University, Dayton, Ohio. Malott is married and has lived in the area for nine years.
- David Nerud, 41, of West Fargo has served as the shop supervisor at Fargo, Glass and Paint since retiring from the Army in 2008 at the rank of master sergeant. He earned a master’s degree in business. Nerud is married and the father of five children and has lived in the area for 12 years.
- Benjamin Sung, 32, of Moorhead is the concertmaster of the Fargo-Moorhead Symphony Orchestra, an adjunct professor at NDSU and MSUM, and is artistic director of the MSUM Performing Arts Series. He earned a bachelor’s degree in music from the Eastman School of Music, Rochester, N.Y., and his master’s and doctorate degrees at Indiana University, Bloomington. He is married and has lived in the area for three years.
- Paul Tefft, 65, of Fargo is a retired government and history teacher and coach. He earned a bachelor’s degree in history and political science from Minot (N.D.) State University and did graduate work at NDSU. He is married and has lived in the area since 1972.
The returning members:
- Michael J. Olsen, 60, of Fargo is the vice president of corporate communications and public affairs for the Otter Tail Corp. He is a graduate of NDSU. He is married and has three grown children. Olsen left the area for a total of 14 years, but he has otherwise lived in the area his whole life.
- Seiko Shastri, 16, is a senior at Moorhead High School. She is involved in tennis, speech and the Fargo Moorhead Area Youth Symphony.
- David Woods, 30, of Wahpeton, N.D., is an English and journalism teacher at Wahpeton High School. He is a graduate of Valley City (N.D.) State University and has lived in the area for more than five years. He is married and the father of two.
- Shauna Vistad, 31, of West Fargo, is a business analyst for MeritCare Health System. She is a graduate of NDSU. Vistad is married and has a 10-year-old son and 15-year-old stepdaughter.
- Shelda Warren, 83, Moorhead, is a retired MSUM mathematics teacher. She earned advanced degrees from the University of Minnesota and Vanderbilt University. Warren was committed to her partner Warren Kelly in 2001 and has one adult daughter.
Von Pinnon is editor of The Forum. Reach him at (701) 241-5579 or firstname.lastname@example.org