Emily Hartley, Published July 12 2010
Clay County Fair begins Thursday
The Mighty Thomas Carnival will be in town with a midway and rides beginning at 6 p.m. Thursday.
Starting off the weekend’s events is the Minnesota State Fair Talent Contest at 7 p.m. Thursday in the Band Shelter, which features free entertainment Thursday through Sunday.
An interactive chance at one of those events is Friday’s Ag Olympics. Participants can try their hand at an egg toss, hay stacking, feed-sack races and plenty more farm-friendly contests.
Friday and Saturday evenings also feature two rounds of demolition derbies beginning at 6:30 Friday and 5:30 Saturday.
There’s a host of 4-H events throughout the weekend, as well as a “Pedal Power Pull” for kids ages 4 to 11 Sunday at 1 p.m.
Here are some other events around the area this week:
- Fargo Downtown Street Fair, Thursday and Friday 10 a.m. to 9 p.m., Saturday 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. The 35th annual craft show on Broadway in downtown Fargo is North Dakota’s largest free outdoor event.
- RiverArts, Moorhead, Tuesday, 5:30 to 8:30 p.m. The family-friendly evening at Davy Park includes a free outdoor concert, craft and food vendors and free activities for kids. Another RiverArts event will be held Aug. 10.
- Viking Village, Hjemkomst Center, Moorhead, Saturday and Sunday. The event features Viking Age crafts, activities and food, as well as the chance to link chain mail and play games from the era.
- Henning Festival, Henning, Minn., Friday through Sunday. The festival’s busy schedule includes a parade on Friday, car and antique truck show, demolition derby, preschool Olympics and street dance Saturday, and a tractor pull and kickball tournament Sunday.
- Hope Days, Hope, N.D., Friday through Sunday. Enjoy a kickball tournament Friday and demolition derby Saturday at 1 p.m. Saturday night features a concert by 32 Below starting at 10 p.m.
- Wilkin County Fair, Breckenridge, Minn., Thursday through Sunday. Events include a talent contest Friday at 7 p.m., a car and motorcycle show Saturday and a demolition derby at 2 p.m. Sunday, plus daily midway happenings.
- Appreciation Days, Ashby, Minn., Friday through Sunday. Ashby will be home to street dances Friday and Saturday night, as well as volleyball, softball, free lunch and a parade Saturday and a pancake breakfast and horseshoes Sunday.
If you go
- What: Clay County Fair
- When: Thursday through Sunday
- Where: Clay County Fairgrounds, Barnesville, Minn.
- Info: Gate admission is free. Carnival rides and admission to some events are extra.
Readers can reach Forum reporter Emily Hartley at (701) 235-7311