Heidi Shaffer, Published June 14 2010
Summer events: Rally in the Valley makes a comeback in 2010
The 27th Annual Rally in the Valley starts Friday with a jam-packed schedule of family-friendly activities in City Park.
Kids can join a bicycle treasure hunt that takes them to 14 points around the city for a chance to win a Nintendo Wii, digital camera or GPS.
The night ends with a free movie in the park and fireworks display at Lokken Field.
Festivities continue Saturday with more than a dozen events throughout the city, including a craft fair, parade, ice cream social and rubber duck race.
The Bridge City Cruisers Car Show on Saturday hosts about 120 classic automobiles from around the area.
Organizers are hoping for more than 5,000 attendees after the celebration was canceled last year because of a continuing flood fight in the city.
For a full list of events, visit http://valleycitynd.com/events.php. For more information call (701) 845-1891.
Other happenings around the region this week include:
- Happy Days Festival, Friday and Saturday, Lisbon, N.D. This two-day event includes a hamburger and brat feed, family picnic, pancake breakfast, citywide rummage sale, 5K walk, Happy Days parade and street dance. For more information, visit www.ransomcountynd.com.
- Teddy Bear Parade and Midwest Kid Fest, Friday, Fargo’s Dike West and Island Park. Parade registration starts at 10 a.m., and the march begins at 11 a.m. The fun then moves to Island Park, where kids can choose from more than 60 activities. For more information, visit www.fargoparks.com/se_famevents_summer.html.
- 50th Annual Turkey BBQ, Saturday, Aneta, N.D. Events include an arts and crafts show, parade and BBQ feed in City Park. For more information, contact (701) 326-4235.
- Race the Red, today, Fargo. The River Keepers host 10-mile competitive or 2-mile fun-run canoe and kayak race on the Red River.
Participants should meet at Lindenwood Park near the bike bridge for the 6 p.m. competitive race and 7:30 p.m. fun race. Canoe and kayak rentals are available.
For more information call Christine at (701) 235-2895.
- Turtle Fest, Saturday through June 27, Perham, Minn.
This jam-packed week of turtle-inspired events includes a daily medallion hunt, turtle races, parade and much more. For a complete list of events, visit
Readers can reach Forum reporter Heidi Shaffer at (701) 241-5511