Published May 28 2010
Memorial Day observancesThe following is a list of scheduled area Memorial Day observances:
- West Fargo: A program will be held from 11 a.m. to noon at the West Fargo VFW. For more information, call (701) 282-4728.
- Fargo: Veterans will assemble at 8:30 a.m. in Fargo’s Holy Cross North Cemetery, 1502 32nd Ave. N. A salute to veterans will follow at 8:45 a.m. St. Anthony of Padua Catholic Church will host a Memorial Day Mass at 9 a.m. In case of rain, the Mass will be held at St. Mary’s Cathedral, Fargo.
At 9:30 a.m., veterans will assemble at the Veterans Memorial Bridge for a ceremonial salute.
At 10:30 a.m., veterans will assemble at Riverside Cemetery, 2102 5th St. S. A ceremony will begin there at 11 a.m. The keynote speaker will be Dan Stenvold, president of the North Dakota Vietnam Veterans of America.
Also in attendance will be Dan Olson, a North Dakota National Guard veteran who has been bicycling across North Dakota to raise funds and bring awareness to the North Dakota National Guard Courage Carries On program. Olson began his journey May 23 in Beach, N.D.
At 12:30 p.m., veterans will again gather for a ceremony at Sunset Memorial Gardens Cemetery, 1715 52nd Ave. S., Fargo.
- Moorhead and Dilworth: The Moorhead American Legion and the Dilworth VFW Color Guard will hold services at the following times and locations: Veterans Memorial Bridge, 7 a.m.; Sunset Memorial Gardens, Moorhead, 8:45 a.m.; Sabin, Minn., cemeteries, 9 a.m.; Sunset Memorial Gardens, Fargo, 9:30 a.m.; Evergreen Cemetery, Moorhead, 9:45 a.m.; Prairie Home Cemetery, Moorhead, 10 a.m.; St. Joseph Cemetery, Moorhead, 10:15 a.m.; Riverside Cemetery, Moorhead, 10:20 a.m. A program will be held at the Moorhead Armory at 11 a.m. For more information, call (701) 799-5743.
- Glyndon: The Concordia Cemetery Association, 6637 80th Ave. N., will hold a Memorial Day observance at 9:55 a.m. The program will begin in Concordia Lutheran Church and continue in the cemetery with a tribute by the Minnesota National Honor Guard. Lunch will be served after the service. For more information, call Lloyd Gunderson at (218) 287-8707.
- Harwood, N.D.: A service will be held at 10 a.m. in Oakwood Cemetery. In the event of rain, the service will be held at the Harwood American Legion. A lunch will follow in the Legion.
- Horace, N.D.: Services will be held at the following cemeteries: Clemenson, 9:15 a.m.; St. Benedict, 9:30 a.m.; Lower Wild Rice, 9:50 a.m.; Salem, 10 a.m.; Horace, 11 a.m.; Sheyenne River, 11:15 a.m.; St. Johns, 11:30 a.m.; and Brink, 11:40 a.m. A potluck lunch will be served at noon in the Horace Senior Center. In the event of rain, a service will be held at the senior center at 11:45 a.m. For more information, call (701) 282-4498.
- Leonard, N.D.: A service will be held in the Helendale Lutheran Cemetery near Leonard at 10:15 a.m. Refreshments will follow. For more information, call (701) 205-1978.
- Page, N.D.: The American Legion Morton-Reger Post #154 and Legion Auxiliary Unit #154 will host a program at 10:30 a.m. in the Page school. The keynote speaker will be retired Maj. Gen. Mike Haugen of the North Dakota National Guard. The program will conclude with a salute to veterans at the Page Cemetery. A dinner will follow in the school cafeteria. For more information, call (701) 668-2500.
- North Dakota Veterans Cemetery, Mandan: Events will begin at noon south of Mandan on Highway 1806. Retired Brig. Gen. Robert Udland, former North Dakota National Guard assistant adjutant general, will be the keynote speaker. For more information, call Bill Prokopyk at (701) 220-7277 or Phil Miller at (701) 220-3086.